Friday 8 July 2011

Restaurant review: IL Postino

Restaurant before opening

  This is an Italian restaurant in Unionville, Ontario that serves good quality but unsophisticated food in a bistro atmosphere. I like to think that I’ve had a cosmopolitan experience when it comes to food – eaten whale meat in Oslo and seafood in Sabine Pass, Texas as well as dined beside Apparatchiks in the Hotel Metropol, Moscow and high tea beside matrons in the Empress Hotel, Victoria B.C. so I can be critical but fair.  This is not a complete review since I only had a snack by myself and I usually like to have a full meal including appetizers, main course and desert with two or three others.
$28?


  As you can see from the picture above, the total cost of the food presented was $10 for a glass of mediocre Italian wine (2009 Pinot Grigio, Venetio) and $18 for three scallops with rather ordinary bread and a good olive oil with balsamic vinegar dipping sauce.
Great Ambience!

  The ambience was great, the service excellent and the scallops were fresh and properly cooked. Not chewy. The total cost for a midday snack was $20 for two six ounce glasses of wine, $18 for scallops, $4 for two homemade biscotti and $3 for a cup of coffee giving a total of $45 plus tax and gratuities. I would wait until I had a more expansive experience at this restaurant before I gave a rating.

1 comment:

  1. I left a comment here in the morning but it isn't here. How strange.

    The comment was about how it made sense to go to this place for the ambiance but not for the food because 3 scallops at this price were really too expensive. But the restaurant itself is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete